Makes 8 servings
1 pound dry black beans
10 cups water
1 large green bell pepper, cut in chunks
- Unusual motel sting casts wide net on illicit activity
- Amanda Knox murder conviction overturned by Italy high court
- Priced out? Growing numbers appear to be fleeing King County
- 5 Seahawks takeaways from the NFL League Meetings
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
Most Read Stories
3 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, mashed
1 large green bell pepper, diced
4 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon oregano
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Rinse the beans thoroughly and pick out any broken pieces. Place in a large pot, along with the bell pepper and water. Soak until very swollen, preferably overnight. Bring to a boil in the same water, reduce heat to medium and cook approximately 45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the sofrito: Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the diced onion, garlic and bell pepper until vegetables are tender but not brown. Place about 1 cup of the beans in the skillet and mash well. Add this mixture to the pot along with the salt, pepper, oregano and bay leaf. Cook over low heat about one hour. Add the vinegar and sherry and cook over low heat for one hour, until thickened. Just before serving stir in the olive oil.
— Adapted by Linda Cicero, The Miami Herald, from El Pub’s Florentino Perez in Miami.