Makes 8 servings
1 pound dry black beans
10 cups water
1 large green bell pepper, cut in chunks
- WSU study: 'Exploding head syndrome' more common than once thought
- Oregon Zoo elephant Rama euthanized; loved to paint
- Ivar's to raise restaurant workers' wages to $15 right away
- Orca baby boom continues with discovery of fourth calf
- Bertha's damaged cutter head emerges from pit
Most Read Stories
3 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, mashed
1 large green bell pepper, diced
4 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon oregano
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Rinse the beans thoroughly and pick out any broken pieces. Place in a large pot, along with the bell pepper and water. Soak until very swollen, preferably overnight. Bring to a boil in the same water, reduce heat to medium and cook approximately 45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the sofrito: Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the diced onion, garlic and bell pepper until vegetables are tender but not brown. Place about 1 cup of the beans in the skillet and mash well. Add this mixture to the pot along with the salt, pepper, oregano and bay leaf. Cook over low heat about one hour. Add the vinegar and sherry and cook over low heat for one hour, until thickened. Just before serving stir in the olive oil.
— Adapted by Linda Cicero, The Miami Herald, from El Pub’s Florentino Perez in Miami.