This pound cake fancied up with mace and nutmeg is the perfect base for strawberry shortcake.
Makes 12 servings
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups superfine sugar
4 eggs, separated
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Shell icebreaker begins journey after protesters removed from Portland bridge
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Haggen cuts worker hours in Seattle area
Most Read Stories
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk
Powdered sugar, to dust
Fresh berries, to serve
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a Bundt pan with baking spray (a blend of oil and flour).
2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and beat until fully incorporated. Set aside.
3. In a second bowl, sift together the salt, mace, nutmeg, baking powder and flour. In a 2-cup measuring cup, combine the vanilla and milk.
4. With the mixer on medium, add a bit of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing well. Add a bit of the milk, mixing again. Alternate adding the flour and milk until all ingredients are well mixed. As needed, use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are mixed. The batter should be smooth and silky.
5. Using a clean bowl and clean beaters, whip the egg whites until they hold firm peaks. Using the rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
6. Let cool for 10 minutes. Overturn the cake onto a serving plate, then dust with powdered sugar just before serving. If desired, top and surround the cake with fresh berries.
Adapted from “Recipes from Old Virginia Cookbook” published in 1958 by The Virginia Federation of Home Demonstration Club