14 tablespoons (1¾ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 killed, half-million lose power in Seattle-area windstorm
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- Jack Zduriencik’s M’s legacy: More than 3 dozen departed managers, coaches, scouts, staffers
- Suspect in attack on tourists arrested in downtown Seattle
- Wet weekend ahead, with high winds and heavy rain expected
Most Read Stories
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼cup apple cider
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat an 11-inch removable-bottom tart pan with baking spray.
2. In a food processor, combine the butter, sugar and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Pulse several times. Add the flour and pulse to combine, scraping down the sides of the work bowl as needed. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan. Press the dough evenly across the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Poke the bottom all over with a fork. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. While the crust bakes, make the filling. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine the apples, vinegar, brown sugar, cider, cinnamon and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, gently stirring to promote even cooking but without breaking the apples, until just tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
4. In a small glass, mix together the cornstarch and water. Add to the apples and cook, stirring gently, for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
5. When the crust and apples are cooked, spoon the apples into the crust, arranging them in concentric circles if desired. Pour any extra juices over the surface of the apples. Serve warm or room temperature.
Nutrition information per serving: 270 calories; 120 calories from fat (44 percent of total calories); 14 g fat (9 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 35 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 19 g sugar; 2 g protein; 85 mg sodium.
Alison Ladman, The Associated Press