24 lemon sandwich cookies, crushed (vanilla cookies with a lemon filling, similar to Oreos)
2 tablespoons melted butter
- With death on table, McEnroe jury's friendships crumbled
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- Salary cap expert Joel Corry with another look at Russell Wilson's contract
- Microsoft employees -- past and present -- look back over the years
- Supersonic business jet heads for UW testing
Most Read Stories
Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Finely mash together the cookies (with filling) and butter using a food processor or by hand in a large bowl. Pour the mixture into a 10-inch springform pan, smoothing it on the bottom and up the sides of the pan to form a crust. Bake 10 minutes to set the crust, then set aside to cool.
½ cup sugar
2 generous tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup water
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel (from 3 to 4 lemons)
Lemon juice from 3 to 4 lemons
In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch, then whisk in the water. Continue to whisk over high heat until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken, then continue to whisk for 15 to 20 seconds before removing from heat. Whisk in the egg yolk, then return to heat and whisk for 10 to 15 seconds to set the custard. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon peel and enough juice to give the filling a thick, pourable consistency. Set aside to cool.
4 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1½ cups sugar
Prepared lemon filling, divided
Whipped cream, to garnish
1. Beat together the cream cheese and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, then beat in 2 tablespoons prepared lemon filling until smooth and creamy. Pour into the prepared pan. Drizzle a tablespoon of lemon filling over the top and, using the tip of a knife, zigzag across the top for effect.
2. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes (the pie will still be jiggly), then, with the pie still in the oven, turn the oven off and leave the door slightly ajar for two hours after baking to finish setting up. Refrigerate at least three hours before serving.
3. Place the remaining filling in a pastry bag or food-safe plastic bag (snip the top before using). Serve the slices drizzled with extra lemon filling and topped with a dollop of whipped cream.
Adapted by the Los Angeles Times from the Dutch Frontier in Ducor, Calif.