Serves four to six
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- UW fires women’s crew coach Bob Ernst
- Students say WWU’s response to racist threats not enough
- Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch has surgery, could be back December
Most Read Stories
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1½ pounds flank steak
¾ cup ketchup
¼ cup water
1½ tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon spice rub, or to taste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon, and rub the rest over both sides of the flank steak. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Clean the grates and brush with oil to prevent sticking.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Combine the ketchup, water, cider vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and maple syrup in a small saucepan, and warm over medium heat. Season with the reserved spice rub, adding a little bit at a time until you achieve the flavor and heat level you desire. Stir in the butter until melted.
4. Grill the steak for about 12-15 minutes total, turning once halfway through cooking. Serve with the sauce on the side.
Nutritional information per serving of steak, without sauce: 199 calories, 24 g protein, 4 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat (4 g saturated), 59 mg cholesterol, 483 mg sodium, 0 g fiber.
Amanda Gold, The San Francisco Chronicle