Makes enough frosting for a 3-layer cake
½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
½ teaspoon salt
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- Seattle sets heat record for July 4
- For escapee, prison now will mean 23 hours a day in a cell
- Sound Transit planning heats up for light-rail expansion and public vote
Most Read Stories
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
6 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk or cream, if needed
1. Cream butter and cream cheese in a stand mixer. Add salt and vanilla. Slowly start to add powdered sugar at low speed.
2. Once all the powdered sugar is incorporated, turn mixer to high and whip for at least 7 minutes or longer, scraping sides. If the icing seems too thick, mix in a tablespoon or 2 of the milk or cream.
The New York Times