2 cups flour
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Ted Cruz ends his bid for Republican presidential nomination
- Man killed by car pulling out of Seattle parking garage
- Bertha under the viaduct: Drilling that shut highway is nearly 30 percent done
Most Read Stories
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled butter
½ cup dried cranberries
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
3 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Combine the flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in the dried cranberries and lemon peel.
2. Pour in the buttermilk and stir with a fork until the mixture holds together. Gather the soft dough into a ball and gently knead a few times on a floured surface. Pat out dough to an 8-inch circle and cut into 8 wedges. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet and brush the tops with the milk. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
3. Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven 15-20 minutes, until golden. Serve warm.
Adapted by The Seattle Times in 1993 from “A Little Northwest Cookbook” by Kathleen Stang.