Makes about 1¼ liters
1½ cups sugar
3 cups cranberries
One 1-liter bottle vodka
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Microsoft co-founder says he found sunken Japan WWII warship
- Seahawks courting a pair of cornerbacks as free agency looms
- Moneytree leads push to loosen state's payday-lending law
- Seattle's micro-housing boom offers an affordable alternative
Most Read Stories
Strips of lime or orange zest (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, bring sugar and 1½ cups water to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves.
2. Place cranberries in a food processor and pulse until they are broken up. Add cranberries, vodka and citrus zest (if using) to the sugar syrup in the pot. Stir well, then transfer to a large jar or two, cover and shake well. Shake the mixture every day for two weeks. At this point, you can either strain the mixture into smaller bottles for gift giving or continue to infuse the spirit in the large jar. It will keep for up to two months.
Adapted by The New York Times from Corey Balazowich