A holiday recipe for Classic Flaky Pie Crust
For 1 (9-inch) pie crust
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening or lard
- The latest on Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor's holdout
- Seattle restaurant manager killed hiking in Alaska
- Haggen sues Albertsons for $1 billion over big grocery deal
- Report gives Seattle drivers worst marks yet; Bellevue isn't far behind
- Seahawks trade Kevin Norwood, make other moves to get roster to 75
Most Read Stories
2 tablespoons cold butter
2 tablespoons ice water
1. In a large bowl combine flour and salt and mix evenly. Cut in shortening and butter until particles are pea-sized. Sprinkle in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing gently with a fork until dough comes together in a ball. Do not over-handle dough. Press gently into a disk and refrigerate for about 20 minutes before rolling.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out a bit bigger than the pie plate. Brush any excess flour off the dough and fit the dough into the pie plate.
3. Roll the dough over at the edges about 1/2 to 1 inch, trimming any excess, then crimp it with your fingers to make a pretty crust edge. Chill the crust until you are ready to fill and bake pie.
Copyright 2010 by Kathy Casey Food Studios® Liquid Kitchen™ (www.kathycasey.com)