1 pint (2 cups) fresh raspberries, plus extra to garnish
¼ cup sugar, divided
2 large eggs
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Man drowns in Lake Washington after hopping off boat
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- Seahawks' decision shows faith in Brandon Mebane, and the team's Superstar Strategy
- Seahawks training camp impressions, Day Four --- Pass rush speed, Mohammed Seisay, the center spot, and more
Most Read Stories
2 large egg whites
1 cup 1 percent milk
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of table salt
8 slices whole-wheat bread, lightly toasted
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1. Heat the oven to 350 F.
2. In a blender or food processor, combine the raspberries with 2½ tablespoons of the sugar. Purée, then pour through a mesh strainer. Discard the seeds and set aside the sauce.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites. Add the milk, vanilla, salt and remaining 1½ tablespoons of sugar. Whisk until well combined.
4. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium. Dip two slices of the bread in the egg mixture until well soaked. Place the soaked slices in the skillet and sprinkle each with a quarter of the chocolate. Dip another two slices of bread in the egg mixture, then set them on top of the chocolate, pressing gently but firmly so the pieces adhere.
5. Cook for three minutes, then carefully flip and cook for another three minutes. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining bread and chocolate, coating the pan with additional cooking spray. When all of the stuffed French toast has been cooked in the skillet and transferred to the baking sheet, bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
6. Cut each portion in half on the diagonal, drizzle with some of the raspberry sauce and garnish with additional raspberries.
Nutrition information per serving: 380 calories; 130 calories from fat (34 percent of total calories); 14 g fat (6 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 95 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrate; 9 g fiber; 26 g sugar; 17 g protein; 400 mg sodium.
Sara Moulton, The Associated Press