Makes enough for 24 cupcakes
3 ½ cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Thursday notes: Seahawks escape suspension binge, NFL.com ranks Carroll, and more
Most Read Stories
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
About 4 tablespoons water
1. Sift together powdered sugar and cocoa powder; add a pinch of salt.
2. Cream butter with an electric mixer or in a food processor. Add sugar mixture slowly, mixing until smooth and blended. Add vanilla and water. The frosting should be easily spreadable at this point. Add a little more water if needed.
Times Kitchen Note: If making the frosting ahead, transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before using. Whisk well to soften.
Adapted from “The Best of BetterBaking.com: 175 Classic Recipes from the Beloved Baker’s Website” by Marcy Goldman & Yvan Huneault