Makes enough for 24 cupcakes
3 ½ cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Microsoft co-founder says he found sunken Japan WWII warship
- Moneytree leads push to loosen state's payday-lending law
- Should UW stick with coach Lorenzo Romar?
- Doughnut wars: Seattle sweets vs. Portland pastries
Most Read Stories
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
About 4 tablespoons water
1. Sift together powdered sugar and cocoa powder; add a pinch of salt.
2. Cream butter with an electric mixer or in a food processor. Add sugar mixture slowly, mixing until smooth and blended. Add vanilla and water. The frosting should be easily spreadable at this point. Add a little more water if needed.
Times Kitchen Note: If making the frosting ahead, transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before using. Whisk well to soften.
Adapted from “The Best of BetterBaking.com: 175 Classic Recipes from the Beloved Baker’s Website” by Marcy Goldman & Yvan Huneault