8 medium carrots (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
- The hidden homeless: families in the suburbs
- How the Seahawks got two first-round picks in the NFL draft
- Here are Seattle-area companies employees enjoy working at most
- Mayor, Chris Hansen denounce misogynistic comments over council arena vote
- Slain Burien teen was ‘all about her education,’ aunt says
Most Read Stories
½ teaspoon cumin, optional
1. Heat the oven to 225 degrees. Peel carrots and cut into 1/8-inch coins. Toss with olive oil, salt and cumin, if you’re using it, then spread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Cook until slightly shriveled, dehydrated and sweet but still soft and chewy. You may have to move them or the pan around to ensure they don’t burn or get too crisp.
2. Start testing carrots after about two hours and remove from oven when they’re as chewy or crisp as you like, another 30 to 60 minutes. Cool thoroughly before storing in an airtight container.
Mark Bittman, The New York Times