Caribbean Veggie Pepper Pot would make a good winter soup.
This recipe is great served with cornbread or ladled over cooked brown rice. Caribbean Veggie Pepper Pot
Makes 4 servings
1 tablespoon coconut oil or canola oil
- Driver arrested after I-90 crash that killed 2
- Cleared after stabbing, former UW student wants his life back
- Costco delays credit-card switch
- WSDOT chief ousted by Senate Republicans after 3 years on job
- Band's frontman: No Super Bowl halftime show for Metallica
Most Read Stories
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
1 jalapeño pepper (or 1/4 habanero), chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 sweet potato (about 1 pound), peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 bunch collards, chopped (3 to 4 cups, loosely packed)
4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
Juice of 1 lime
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeño, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in allspice, sweet potato and carrots. Add greens a handful at a time and stir until they wilt, about 3 minutes.
3. Add broth and bring heat to high. When broth comes to a boil, add thyme and bay leaf. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
4. Squeeze in lime juice and season with salt and pepper.