Makes about 2 cups
2 egg yolks
½ cup light cream
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- Former Skyline High QB Jake Heaps signs with Seahawks
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Sinkhole forms above Sound Transit light-rail tunnel in Roosevelt area
- High court rejects franchises’ challenge to Seattle’s $15 wage law
Most Read Stories
1 cup sugar
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut up
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Slide yolks into a small bowl. Whisk briefly. Keep handy.
2. Pour cream into a medium saucepan. Stir in sugar. Heat to a boil. Slide in both types of chocolate. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring, until smooth, about three minutes.
3. Whisk 2 tablespoons of the chocolate into the yolks. Whisk these tempered yolks back into the pan of chocolate. Cook, whisking, one minute. Pull pan off heat. Stir in butter.
4. Use a soft spatula to press sauce through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Stir in vanilla. Lavish over ice cream.
— Adapted by Leah Eskin, The Chicago Tribune, from a recipe passed along by her friend Carbery, who got it from her sister, who picked it up on a baby-sitting job in the neighborhood.