30 small cakes
16 tablespoons butter (2 sticks), more for greasing muffin tins
1 tablespoon coconut oil
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- 'Granny panties' making a comeback as women say no to thongs
- Shopping video undoes woman's case against SPD
- Deputies shoot 17-year-old after car chase in SeaTac
- Old Lusty Lady strip club to get new look as boutique hotel
Most Read Stories
22/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup egg whites (about 6 to 8 large egg whites)
1 tablespoon dark rum
Sweetened shredded coconut, for topping
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 30 mini-muffin tins.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat until the milk solids fall to bottom of pan and become a rich brown, about 5 minutes. Strain brown butter through a mesh sieve into bowl. Stir in coconut oil and reserve.
3. In a food processor, process unsweetened coconut until very fine. Transfer to a bowl. Sift in sugar, flour and salt. Using a spatula, fold in egg whites and rum until batter is moistened. Slowly mix in brown butter mixture until well combined.
4. Spoon batter into tins and sprinkle tops with shredded sweetened coconut, separating any clumps with your fingers. Bake, rotating pans several times, until edges are dark brown and tops are golden, 20 to 24 minutes. Cool on rack for five minutes and pop out financiers onto rack.
— Melissa Clark, The New York Times