1 pound sea scallops
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for sauteing
For the marinade:
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner on contract talks: 'Now. That's my deadline'
- Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant Ivar's
Most Read Stories
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon light or dark brown sugar
Kosher or coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Whisk marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Add scallops and marinate for 20 minutes, then pat dry.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil and when hot, add the scallops without crowding them. Sear them for about three minutes without moving so that the bottoms brown. Turn the scallops and sear them until they are browned on the second side and the insides are almost opaque, about three minutes longer.
3. Remove the scallops from the heat and let them sit for a minute before serving.
Adapted by the Tampa Bay Times from The Mom 100 Cookbook by Katie Workman (Workman Publishing, 2012)