This recipe calls for baking the corned beef. It produces a very tender piece of meat.
Makes 8 servings1 corned beef, about 5 pounds
8 medium whole new potatoes, washed well or peeled, cut in half
16 small carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
1 large cabbage, cored and cut into small wedges
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- Costco said to get sweet deal from credit-card companies
- Mariners lose fourth straight game
- On tour of UW station, Inslee backs $15 billion tax plan for more light rail
Most Read Stories
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place corned beef in a large, flat baking pan or covered roaster. Add water to a depth of ¼-inch. Cover with a lid or foil and place in oven for 3 ½ to 4 hours. The beef should be very tender when tested with a large fork.
2. When corned beef is done, transfer to an ovenproof plate, cover with aluminum foil and hold in a warm oven. Pour cooking liquid into a deep kettle and add 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Add potatoes and simmer 10 minutes. Add carrots and simmer until just tender. About 10 minutes before the vegetables are cooked, add cabbage wedges and cook until tender crisp.
3. Slice corned beef across the grain and serve on a platter surrounded by cabbages. Transfer the potatoes and carrots to a separate bowl and serve with horseradish.
From “Classic Irish Recipes” by Georgina Campbell