Here’s a dish that’s so quick you can commit it to memory. It relies on cooked apple-chicken sausage, which has become a refrigerator staple at my house. The “relish” is sweet-salty.
Serve with a salad of crisp greens, or sauteed broccolini.
Dinner in 20 Minutes: Apple-Chicken Sausage with Apricot-Pepper Relish
Adapted from “Southern Living: What’s for Supper,” by Vanessa McNeil Rocchio (Oxmoor House, 2012).
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Ted Cruz ends his bid for Republican presidential nomination
- Man killed by car pulling out of Seattle parking garage
- Bertha under the viaduct: Drilling that shut highway is nearly 30 percent done
Most Read Stories
3 to 4 servings
18 ounces (2 ¼ cups) no-salt-added chicken broth
1 cup low-fat milk
1 cup stone-ground grits or polenta
1 large red bell pepper
½ medium onion
12 ounces smoked chicken-and-apple sausages, preferably Aidell’s brand
2 tablespoons apricot preserves
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1. Combine 14 ounces (1 ¾ cups) of the broth and the milk in a medium saucepan over high heat. Once it begins to boil, stir in the grits or polenta. Reduce the heat to medium; cook for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring often to avoid scorching, until thickened and creamy. Reduce the heat to low. Season with salt to taste.
2. While the grits or polenta are cooking, cut the bell pepper in half; stem and seed it, then cut the flesh into thin strips. Cut the onion into thin slices. Cut the sausages lengthwise in half.
3. Whisk together the remaining 4 ounces (½ cup) of broth, the preserves and vinegar in a liquid measuring cup.
4. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausages, cut side down; cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until browned. Add the bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes, then stir in the broth mixture. Reduce the heat to medium; cover and cook for 4 minutes.
5. When ready to serve, divide the grits or polenta evenly among wide, shallow bowls. Place sausage on each portion, then spoon the apricot-onion-pepper mixture on top, including some of the sauce. Serve right away.
Nutrition per serving (based on 4): 440 calories, 20 g protein, 50 g carbohydrates, 17 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 105 mg cholesterol, 820 mg sodium, 3 g dietary fiber, 10 g sugar