1 (10-ounce) package frozen raspberries in light syrup
3 cup maple syrup
- Tourists robbed, beaten downtown ‘afraid to go back’ to Seattle
- Animated map: How the wildfires in North Central Washington have grown over time
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor holdout FAQ
- Fired reporter kills 2 former co-workers on live TV
- Hawaii sending wet weather this way that may stick around
Most Read Stories
3 large eggs
¾ cup milk
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 slices egg-sesame bread
About 2 tablespoons butter
½ cup sliced almonds
1. To prepare the syrup: Defrost the berries and pour into a food processor or blender. Purée and force through a sieve to remove the seeds. Stir in the maple syrup; set aside.
2. To prepare the French toast: Whisk together the eggs, milk, almond extract, cinnamon and nutmeg. Dip each slice of bread in the milk mixture and put on a large plate.
3. Using 2 large nonstick skillets, heat about 1 teaspoon butter in each. When hot, place soaked bread in skillet. (Usually 2 slices will fit in each skillet.) Sprinkle tops with sliced almonds and cook until nicely browned on one side, about three minutes. Carefully flip over, adding about another teaspoon butter to each pan. Cook about three minutes more. Hold in a warm oven. Repeat with remaining bread, butter and almonds.
4. Warm the raspberry-maple syrup in a small saucepan or in a microwave. Serve with the toast.
From The Seattle Times archives, 1997