Q: I was given a big box of grapefruits and oranges as a gift. What’s the best way to store it so it will last the longest?
A: While citrus fruit will keep for a couple of days at room temperature, the best way to store it is in the refrigerator. If you can find the space, the vegetable drawer is the best spot. It should keep there for several weeks.
Don’t keep the fruit in a plastic bag or an airtight container, which can make it get moldy or soft faster. Mesh bags that let air circulate are fine. Look through the fruit regularly and use the ones that are getting soft.
If you’re going to juice it, bring it back to room temperature and you’ll get the most juice. And if you can’t use the fruit fast enough and you don’t want to waste it, both the zest and the juice can be frozen.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- 'Granny panties' making a comeback as women say no to thongs
- Russell Wilson's agent says in 710 ESPN Seattle interview that contract talks are 'encouraging'
- Crash on I-5 at Boeing Access Road backs up traffic for miles
Most Read Stories
Email food or cooking questions to Kathleen Purvis at firstname.lastname@example.org