Spooky Witches Fingers, Jack-O'-Lantern Layered Mexican Dip and Eyes of Newt liven up the Halloween festivities.
Liven up a Halloween party with these easy, fun recipes.
Spooky Witches Fingers
Makes 60 cookies
1 cup butter, softened
- 2 people killed in Seattle-area windstorm identified
- Richard Sherman asks for Tyler Lockett-Mario Kart mashup, the internet answers
- Chargers players upset with Frank Clark
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- White House renames Mount McKinley as Denali on eve of trip
Most Read Stories
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup whole almonds
1 (. 75 ounce) tube red decorating gel
1. Combine the butter, sugar, egg, almond extract and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Beat together with an electric mixer; gradually add the flour, baking powder and salt, continually beating; refrigerate 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
3. Remove dough from refrigerator in small amounts. Scoop 1 heaping teaspoon at a time onto a piece of wax paper. Use the waxed paper to roll the dough into a thin finger-shaped cookie. Press one almond into one end of each cookie to give the appearance of a long fingernail. Squeeze cookie near the tip and again near the center of each to give the impression of knuckles. You can also cut into the dough with a sharp knife at the same points to help give a more fingerlike appearance. Arrange the shaped cookies on the baking sheets.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the cookies are slightly golden in color, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Remove the almond from the end of each cookie; squeeze a small amount of red decorating gel into the cavity; replace the almond to cause the gel to ooze out around the tip of the cookie.
Jack-O’-Lantern Layered Mexican Dip
Makes 8 servings
1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
1 can (4.5 ounce) chopped green chilies
½ cup sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
1 large avocado
½ cup black beans
1 cup salsa (mild or medium)
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
3 blue corn tortilla chips
17 sliced black olives
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a greased, deep pie dish, spread the refried beans and then layer on the green chilies.
3. Mix the sour cream, mayonnaise and avocado together in a medium bowl. Mix until the avocado is smooth with very few chunks.
4. Layer the avocado mixture on top of the chilies.
5. Combine the black beans and salsa and spread on top of the avocado layer.
6. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes, until heated through and bubbly.
7. Decorate the top of the dip with three tortilla chips forming the eyes and nose of the jack-o’-lantern.
8. Use sliced olives to form a mouth.
9. Serve hot with remaining blue tortilla chips.
Eyes of Newt
Add green food coloring to your favorite deviled-egg recipe. Decorate with an olive slice and red food-decorating gel.