‘Waiting for Sunrise’
This richly textured spy novel by British author William Boyd, just out in paperback (Harper Perennial), follows the misadventures of Lysander Rief, a half-English, half-Austrian actor who travels to Vienna for psychoanalysis and is lured into a complex spy game on the eve of World War I. Some of the book’s plot turns are improbable, but Boyd meticulously recreates prewar Vienna, the hell of the trenches, the brutal bombing of London and a military learning how to make modern industrial war.
Mary Ann Gwinn, Seattle Times book editor
- 4 Mount Rainier High teens charged in alleged gang rape on field trip
- Examining if the Seahawks would be a good fit for Matt Forte
- Woman’s throat cut in South Lake Union assault; man arrested
- Manhole cover crashes into SUV's windshield, killing driver
- Building with iconic Seattle P-I globe sold for $40M
Most Read Stories
Anthony Bourdain — Seattle
Anthony Bourdain does a last serenade to Seattle. In one of his last shows with the Travel Channel, Bourdain hits our streets and bar-hops for two days for his series, “The Layover” (Monday, 9 p.m.). He was reportedly spotted in a dozen places including Canlis and Rob Roy. Find out which bars and restaurants made his cut.
Tan Vinh, Seattle Times staff writer