‘Waiting for Sunrise’
This richly textured spy novel by British author William Boyd, just out in paperback (Harper Perennial), follows the misadventures of Lysander Rief, a half-English, half-Austrian actor who travels to Vienna for psychoanalysis and is lured into a complex spy game on the eve of World War I. Some of the book’s plot turns are improbable, but Boyd meticulously recreates prewar Vienna, the hell of the trenches, the brutal bombing of London and a military learning how to make modern industrial war.
Mary Ann Gwinn, Seattle Times book editor
- Could Chris Polk be a fit for the Seahawks?
- Jesse Jones is back: Seattle's superhero consumer reporter is now at KIRO 7
- Nathan Hale High School juniors boycott state test
- This USB cable finally could be connector for long haul
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
Most Read Stories
Anthony Bourdain — Seattle
Anthony Bourdain does a last serenade to Seattle. In one of his last shows with the Travel Channel, Bourdain hits our streets and bar-hops for two days for his series, “The Layover” (Monday, 9 p.m.). He was reportedly spotted in a dozen places including Canlis and Rob Roy. Find out which bars and restaurants made his cut.
Tan Vinh, Seattle Times staff writer