‘Waiting for Sunrise’
This richly textured spy novel by British author William Boyd, just out in paperback (Harper Perennial), follows the misadventures of Lysander Rief, a half-English, half-Austrian actor who travels to Vienna for psychoanalysis and is lured into a complex spy game on the eve of World War I. Some of the book’s plot turns are improbable, but Boyd meticulously recreates prewar Vienna, the hell of the trenches, the brutal bombing of London and a military learning how to make modern industrial war.
Mary Ann Gwinn, Seattle Times book editor
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- Former Skyline High QB Jake Heaps signs with Seahawks
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Sinkhole forms above Sound Transit light-rail tunnel in Roosevelt area
- Breaking down the Seahawks' reported undrafted free agents
Most Read Stories
Anthony Bourdain — Seattle
Anthony Bourdain does a last serenade to Seattle. In one of his last shows with the Travel Channel, Bourdain hits our streets and bar-hops for two days for his series, “The Layover” (Monday, 9 p.m.). He was reportedly spotted in a dozen places including Canlis and Rob Roy. Find out which bars and restaurants made his cut.
Tan Vinh, Seattle Times staff writer