‘Waiting for Sunrise’
This richly textured spy novel by British author William Boyd, just out in paperback (Harper Perennial), follows the misadventures of Lysander Rief, a half-English, half-Austrian actor who travels to Vienna for psychoanalysis and is lured into a complex spy game on the eve of World War I. Some of the book’s plot turns are improbable, but Boyd meticulously recreates prewar Vienna, the hell of the trenches, the brutal bombing of London and a military learning how to make modern industrial war.
Mary Ann Gwinn, Seattle Times book editor
- Purple Heart plant bed vandalized days before Memorial Day
- Seattle’s vanishing black community
- Boeing tankers will be delivered to Air Force late — and incomplete
- Bellevue School District seeks to fire football coach Goncharoff over scandal
- A six-pack of observations from Seahawks' OTAs: Justin Britt, Alex Collins, Tharold Simon and more
Most Read Stories
Anthony Bourdain — Seattle
Anthony Bourdain does a last serenade to Seattle. In one of his last shows with the Travel Channel, Bourdain hits our streets and bar-hops for two days for his series, “The Layover” (Monday, 9 p.m.). He was reportedly spotted in a dozen places including Canlis and Rob Roy. Find out which bars and restaurants made his cut.
Tan Vinh, Seattle Times staff writer