‘Waiting for Sunrise’
This richly textured spy novel by British author William Boyd, just out in paperback (Harper Perennial), follows the misadventures of Lysander Rief, a half-English, half-Austrian actor who travels to Vienna for psychoanalysis and is lured into a complex spy game on the eve of World War I. Some of the book’s plot turns are improbable, but Boyd meticulously recreates prewar Vienna, the hell of the trenches, the brutal bombing of London and a military learning how to make modern industrial war.
Mary Ann Gwinn, Seattle Times book editor
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
Most Read Stories
Anthony Bourdain — Seattle
Anthony Bourdain does a last serenade to Seattle. In one of his last shows with the Travel Channel, Bourdain hits our streets and bar-hops for two days for his series, “The Layover” (Monday, 9 p.m.). He was reportedly spotted in a dozen places including Canlis and Rob Roy. Find out which bars and restaurants made his cut.
Tan Vinh, Seattle Times staff writer