Idina Menzel and Nia Long step into the roles originally played by Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey.
First “Gilmore Girls” made a triumphant return. Now, get ready to revisit “Beaches.”
Lifetime is remaking the ultimate tearjerker and so-called “chick flick,” the 1980s film starring Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey as mismatched best friends CC and Hillary. Once the brash, songbird CC and the aloof, wealthy Hillary met on a New Jersey boardwalk, their bond was sealed. Through love affairs, fights, distance, motherhood and illness, the two stayed strongly connected.
Of course, the Grammy-winning song “Wind Beneath My Wings” makes an appearance. (“Did I ever tell you, you’re my hero?”) A faster version of the song underscores the first trailer from Lifetime. Idina Menzel steps into Midler’s role, while Nia Long takes on Hershey’s part.
The remake airs Jan. 21. Get out the Kleenex, and mark your calendars.
Most Read Stories
- Man shot at UW no racist, friends insist, despite shooter’s claim
- Man struck, killed by Link light-rail train in Rainier Valley
- We need real solutions to vehicle campers | Editorial
- Trump administration taps 2 Washington state legislators to help reshape EPA
- Seattle is again crane capital of America, but lead is shrinking