Idina Menzel and Nia Long step into the roles originally played by Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey.
First “Gilmore Girls” made a triumphant return. Now, get ready to revisit “Beaches.”
Lifetime is remaking the ultimate tearjerker and so-called “chick flick,” the 1980s film starring Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey as mismatched best friends CC and Hillary. Once the brash, songbird CC and the aloof, wealthy Hillary met on a New Jersey boardwalk, their bond was sealed. Through love affairs, fights, distance, motherhood and illness, the two stayed strongly connected.
Of course, the Grammy-winning song “Wind Beneath My Wings” makes an appearance. (“Did I ever tell you, you’re my hero?”) A faster version of the song underscores the first trailer from Lifetime. Idina Menzel steps into Midler’s role, while Nia Long takes on Hershey’s part.
The remake airs Jan. 21. Get out the Kleenex, and mark your calendars.
Most Read Stories
- Billionaire Paul Allen pledges $30M toward permanent housing for Seattle’s homeless
- Seattle just broke a 122-year-old record for rain — because of course it did
- Is Seattle a target for a North Korean nuclear attack? Well, not quite yet, insiders say
- Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch agrees to contract with Raiders, is traded to Oakland in exchange of 2018 draft picks
- 2017 NFL draft: Live Seahawks updates from the first round