Idina Menzel and Nia Long step into the roles originally played by Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey.
First “Gilmore Girls” made a triumphant return. Now, get ready to revisit “Beaches.”
Lifetime is remaking the ultimate tearjerker and so-called “chick flick,” the 1980s film starring Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey as mismatched best friends CC and Hillary. Once the brash, songbird CC and the aloof, wealthy Hillary met on a New Jersey boardwalk, their bond was sealed. Through love affairs, fights, distance, motherhood and illness, the two stayed strongly connected.
Of course, the Grammy-winning song “Wind Beneath My Wings” makes an appearance. (“Did I ever tell you, you’re my hero?”) A faster version of the song underscores the first trailer from Lifetime. Idina Menzel steps into Midler’s role, while Nia Long takes on Hershey’s part.
The remake airs Jan. 21. Get out the Kleenex, and mark your calendars.
Most Read Stories
- 'I'm amazed tourists ever come back': Your comments on Seattle's poor tourism survey
- Nathan Hale's Michael Porter Jr. asks for release from Washington
- Rare, often fatal, respiratory disease carried by mice — hantavirus — confirmed in King County
- AP Exclusive: Before Trump job, Manafort worked to aid Putin VIEW
- Measles cases in South Lake Union: Were you exposed?