Idina Menzel and Nia Long step into the roles originally played by Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey.
First “Gilmore Girls” made a triumphant return. Now, get ready to revisit “Beaches.”
Lifetime is remaking the ultimate tearjerker and so-called “chick flick,” the 1980s film starring Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey as mismatched best friends CC and Hillary. Once the brash, songbird CC and the aloof, wealthy Hillary met on a New Jersey boardwalk, their bond was sealed. Through love affairs, fights, distance, motherhood and illness, the two stayed strongly connected.
Of course, the Grammy-winning song “Wind Beneath My Wings” makes an appearance. (“Did I ever tell you, you’re my hero?”) A faster version of the song underscores the first trailer from Lifetime. Idina Menzel steps into Midler’s role, while Nia Long takes on Hershey’s part.
The remake airs Jan. 21. Get out the Kleenex, and mark your calendars.
Most Read Stories
- ‘Big pool of blood’: Redmond man shoots cougar in research cage
- T-Mobile one-ups Verizon’s new unlimited data plan; 4Q results top forecasts
- Afraid and confused, legal immigrants backing out of Seattle-area home purchases
- 5-year-old Kent girl re-creates iconic photos of notable black women for Black History Month VIEW
- Nine tax hikes in one mayoral term? Welcome to Seattle | Danny Westneat