Now that children are on winter break, the movie theaters will be packed. In some cases, parents will be accompanying their children to popular G- and PG-rated movies such as "The...
Now that children are on winter break, the movie theaters will be packed.
In some cases, parents will be accompanying their children to popular G- and PG-rated movies such as “The Polar Express” and “Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events.” In other cases, they will be dropping off older children.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle police spokesman plays video game while talking about fatal shooting of Charleena Lyles; video removed
- Calling their bluff: A Seattle doctor pegs what the GOP health bill is really about | Danny Westneat
- Seattle police release statements from officers who killed Charleena Lyles
- Police investigate officer who shot Charleena Lyles after he left Taser in locker
- Wet, snowy winter creates life-threatening hazards for Pacific Crest Trail hikers
But do you really know what you are about to let your children see? Are you satisfied that a G-rated movie is appropriate for kids of all ages? Are you confident that that PG-13 movie is really intended for all teens?
For parents interested in doing their homework ahead of time, several Web sites describe in detail what the ratings and typical movie reviews don’t — for example, not just what profane language is used but how many times and in what context.
The Web site Kids in Mind (www.kidsinmind.com), for example, recently posted its review of the Lemony Snicket movie. On a scale of 0-10 — 0 representing the least amount of offending material and 10 the most — it gave the PG-rated film 1’s for profanity and sexual content and 4 for violence and gore.
Online reviewer Nell Minow, who writes for the Movie Mom site (movies.yahoo.com/mv/moviemom), says the film is not appropriate for kids under 10.
Screen it! (www.screenit.com). This site gives alerts in 15 categories, accompanied by a rating of mild, moderate, heavy or extreme. Categories include alcohol and drugs, blood and gore, sex and nudity, frightening situations, tense family scenes and profanity. The site also features plot descriptions, role model information and suggested topics of conversation.