The fest opens May 18 with the Amazon Studios film.
Amazon Studios’ “The Big Sick” will be shown at the Seattle International Film Festival’s opening night gala at McCaw Hall, SIFF announced Friday. Opening night is May 18, and the festival runs through June 11 this year.
The first-night film, directed by Michael Showalter, stars Kumail Nanjiani, Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter and Ray Romano. It’s based on what happened between Nanjiani and his wife, Emily V. Gordon, at the start of their relationship; when she becomes sick from a mysterious malady, Nanjiani has to navigate the cultural differences between their families. Amazon Studios will release “The Big Sick” in limited theaters in June, with more screens planned for July.
Tickets for the opening night festivities are available at 206-324-9996 or www.SIFF.net, or at SIFF cinemas (Film Center, Uptown and Egyptian theaters.) Various packages are available, from ticket allowing a patron to see the film and attend the gala afterward, to a “VIP Red Carpet Experience.”
The complete lineup for the 43rd annual festival will be announced on May 3. Single-ticket sales start May 4.
Most Read Stories
- Starbucks' Dragon Frappuccino is new 'secret' drink craze
- Marshawn Lynch takes out a full-page ad in the Seattle Times to thank fans
- First reaction: Seahawks select 6 players in second and third rounds of NFL Draft
- 2017 NFL draft: Live Seahawks updates from the final day, rounds 4-7
- Draft day delivery: Russell Wilson, Ciara announce birth of Sienna Princess Wilson