“The Suit,” a theater piece staged by seminal experimental theater director Peter Brook, will tour to Seattle Repertory Theatre in 2014, as part of the company’s 2013-14 season.
The Rep also announced it will mount its own production of the Tony Award-nominated David Ives play “Venus in Fur” as part of the same season. (Details about both plays will be revealed later.)
“The Suit” is a fable with live music about an African couple whose lives are altered by the presence of clothing left in their home by the wife’s lover. Directed by Brook, from his own adaptation of a short story by the late South African writer Can Themba, the show had acclaimed runs in Paris, London and in New York, where Bloomberg News critic Jeremy Gerard praised it as “a morality tale about forgiveness with an intimate glimpse of life under apartheid.”
Brook, still professionally active at age 88, has been a celebrated modern drama pioneer for more than six decades, and his philosophy of a theater focused on language and acting rather than scenic effects is widely influential. His production of Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” starring Adrian Lester had its American premiere at the Seattle Rep in 2001.
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- WWU police arrest 19-year-old student in racist-threats case
Most Read Stories
“Venus in Fur” is a recent Ives comedy about the erotically charged audition that becomes a game of cat and mouse between a sexy actress and a demanding playwright-director.
Seattle Rep is also including the Paramount Theatre touring run of the musical “Once” in its 2013-14 subscription series (May 27-June 8, 2014). Other 2013-14 attractions will be revealed later.
Season subscriptions to the Rep are available starting May 3, and single tickets will go on sale in September (206-443-2222 or www.seattlerep.org).
Misha Berson: firstname.lastname@example.org