Angela Lansbury has British critics spellbound with her performance as a dotty mystic in "Blithe Spirit" on the London stage.
Angela Lansbury has British critics spellbound with her performance as a dotty mystic in “Blithe Spirit” on the London stage.
The 88-year-old actress is appearing in the West End for the first time in almost 40 years as medium Madame Arcati in Noel Coward’s supernatural farce. She won a Tony for the role on Broadway in 2009.
The Daily Telegraph’s Charles Spencer praised Lansbury’s “astonishing energy and comic panache” in the production, directed by 85-year-old Michael Blakemore. In Wednesday’s Times of London, Dominic Maxwell said Lansbury’s “amazing precision and vim” were “a master-class in character comedy.”
London-born Lansbury is known worldwide as small-town sleuth Jessica Fletcher on long-running TV series “Murder, She Wrote.”
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
- Gun violence: Don’t fear gun laws; let gun-owners help pay to fix the problem
- Two high school football players hospitalized after serious game injuries
Most Read Stories
She said after Tuesday’s opening night that “being back in London felt very natural and terrific.”