Memorial Day commemorative events planned in the region include ceremonies at area cemeteries; music; appreciation day at the Mariners game and more:
• Evergreen Washelli Memorial Park: Volunteers will place flags at all 5,000 marble markers in the Veterans Section starting at 7 a.m. Monday; concert featuring Seattle Pacific University Symphonic Wind Ensemble and Drum Corps, 1:30 p.m.; service of remembrance, 2 p.m.; tour of veterans cemetery, led by David Bloch, son of Medal of Honor recipient Orville Emil Bloch (WWII), 3:15 p.m. at the doughboy statue. Donation of $5 suggested for the tour; to make a reservation, call 206-362-5200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. 11111 Aurora Ave. N., Seattle; (www.washelli.com).
• Acacia Memorial Park: Service of remembrance, 11 a.m. Monday, 14951 Bothell Way N.E., Seattle; free (206-362-5525).
• Tahoma National Cemetery: 15th annual Memorial Day event includes a flag-lined Street of Heroes and flag placement on each grave; music by the Tahoma High School band; salute to the military, 1 p.m. Monday, 18600 SE 240th St., Kent; (www.cem.va.gov).
- WSU study: 'Exploding head syndrome' more common than once thought
- McMorris Rodgers should ask hometown folks about Obamacare
- Oregon Zoo elephant Rama euthanized; loved to paint
- Seattle congestion: We're No. 5
- Ivar's to raise restaurant workers' wages to $15 right away
Most Read Stories
Other events on Monday
• Wounded Warrior Dash: UW Semper Fidelis Society and Husky United Military Veterans 5K race to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project and the Semper Fi Fund charities for wounded veterans, 10 a.m. Monday, Magnuson Park, Seattle; $25-$35 (students.washington.edu/semperfs/drupal/woundedwarriors).
• Benaroya Hall Garden of Remembrance: Dedication of newly engraved names of the five service members from Washington lost in Afghanistan since last Memorial Day; Seattle Fire Department’s Walter Kilgore Honor Guard will present the colors and members of the Seattle Youth Symphony Orchestra will perform, 10 a.m. Monday, Second Avenue between Union and University streets.
• Veterans Appreciation Day at Seattle Mariners: Veteran-resource fair on stadium 300 level; portion of ticket proceeds benefits National Alliance to End Veteran Suicide. Gates open 11 a.m., game at 1:10 p.m. Monday, Safeco Field, 1250 First Ave., Seattle; $18-$35, purchase online by 5 p.m. Friday (www.na2evs.org/mariners).
• Museum of Flight: Boeing Employees Concert Band, noon Monday; speakers start at 1 p.m., 9404 E. Marginal Way S., Seattle; $10-$18, free for veterans and active U.S. military with ID (206-764-5720 or www.museumofflight.org).
• American Legion Memorial Day Services: Cathay Post No. 186 of the American Legion honors America’s armed forces, 4 p.m. Monday, Hing Hay Park, 423 Maynard Ave. S., Seattle (425-502-9225).
• Edmonds Memorial Day Ceremony: Presentation of colors by local veterans groups, POW/MIA remembrance ceremony, music, tribute to Korean War veterans; seating limited, bring lawn chairs, 11 a.m. Monday, Edmonds Memorial Cemetery, 820 15th St. S.W., Edmonds; free (425-771-4741 or www.cemetery.edmondswa.gov).
Compiled by Madeline McKenzie