Dyno Jamz won the 2009 EMP Sound Off! battle of the under-age bands at Seattle's EMP on March 7.
Dyno Jamz won the 2009 EMP Sound Off!, one of the largest battles of the bands in the Northwest, in front of a sold-out crowd Saturday night. About 1,000 fans decided the fates of the underage bands performing that night, with Dyno Jamz, a Seattle hip-hop-jazz band, taking both first place and the audience response prize.
The eight-man band includes horns, drums, bass, keyboards and an MC, and a combination of influences from Miles Davis to Tower of Power.
Seattle rapper SOL came in second, with all-girl Eastern European eclectic-indie-rock band Dearboy third, and the Tacoma indie-post-punk duo Makeup Monsters fourth. (Read more on the bands at The Seattle Times preview story, http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2008818519_zmus06soundoff.html).
Traditionally, Sound Off! has been a launchpad for Northwest bands, propelling them onto popular music festivals such as Sasquatch! and South by Southwest. And as part of winning the contest, Dyno Jamz will take a coveted spot at the Seattle music festival Bumbershoot.
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Even in death, 'Up' house owner Edith Macefield remains a mystery
Most Read Stories
Read more on Dyno Jamz at the band’s MySpace, www.myspace.com/dynojamz.
Marian Liu: 206-464-3825 or firstname.lastname@example.org