NBC has greenlit production of a pilot based in part on the egotistical athlete Leon of beer-commercial fame. The show, called "Dante," has signed Morris Chestnut ("Boyz N the...
NBC has greenlit production of a pilot based in part on the egotistical athlete Leon of beer-commercial fame.
The show, called “Dante,” has signed Morris Chestnut (“Boyz N the Hood,” “Ladder 49”) to star as the title character, a pro football player whose outsized sense of entitlement often puts him out of touch with reality, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Tony Cox (“Bad Santa”) also has signed on to the cast, playing Chestnut’s uncle.
Most Read Stories
- Cheating hubby needs to reset attitude toward ‘affair baby’ | Dear Carolyn
- Seattle home too toxic to enter sparked a bidding frenzy — now we know why VIEW
- Washington state will resist federal crackdown on legal weed, AG Ferguson says
- T-Mobile one-ups Verizon’s new unlimited data plan; 4Q results top forecasts
- It’s been a wet (and cold) winter in Seattle — but other West Coast cities have had it worse VIEW
“Just Shoot Me” creator Steven Levitan and John Immesoete, a former ad executive who created the ongoing Leon character for the beer commercials, wrote the pilot script.
Chestnut, who will be 36 on New Year’s Day, is a former high-school football player who began his acting career playing the doomed athlete Ricky Baker in “Boyz N the Hood.”
Amoing his other movie credits are “Breakin’ All the Rules,” “G.I. Jane,” “Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchids” and “The Best Man.”
He also has two TV series to his credit: the early-’90s NBC comedy “Out All Night” and the ABC drama “C-16: FBI,” which aired in the 1997-98 season.
Cox had a recurring part on FX’s “Rescue Me” this season and also has appeared in “Me, Myself & Irene.”
His other movie credits include “Willow,” “Beetle Juice,” “Spaceballs” and “Star Wars: Episode VI — “Return of the Jedi.”