Robert Downey Jr. has signed up for two more "Avengers" films.
Robert Downey Jr. has signed up for two more “Avengers” films.
Marvel announced Thursday that the actor will reprise his role as Iron Man/Tony Stark for “The Avengers 2″ and “The Avengers 3.” Downey Jr. has played the character in a trilogy of “Iron Man” movies, as well as the first superhero ensemble “Avengers” film, which made $2.7 billion worldwide.
Joss Whedon is to return as director of the next “Avengers” film. He is writing the screenplay now. Production is to begin in March, with a theatrical release in May 2015.
The 48-year-old actor had previously suggested “Iron Man 3″ might be his last spin in a stand-alone “Iron Man” film. Marvel’s announcement made no mention of an “Iron Man 4″ release.
- 1 killed, 5 injured in Snohomish Big Four Ice Caves collapse
- Starbucks prices here to rise 3.5 times as much as nationwide
- Seahawks mailbag: Russell Okung's future, Cliff Avril's role
- Seattle weather is an early peek at the future
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier