This Labor Day weekend: Harbor Days Maritime Festival & Tugboat Races, in Olympia, and Discover Sail Cam Isle at Cama Beach State Park on Camano Island.
Messing about with boats, or just giving them a good look-see, can be a good way to spend Labor Day weekend without making it feel like work.
Head north or head south (or step next door, if you’re close enough) for a couple of free boat-y events:
At the southern end of Puget Sound, Olympia hosts the annual Harbor Days Maritime Festival & Tugboat Races. All types and vintages of tugs, those tough boats that earn their keep, will be on display at Percival Landing Park this Friday through Sunday (as pictured here during a past festival). Tugboat races (more power than speed, you might expect) are noon Sunday. See www.harbordays.com.
Or on the north side of the Sound, on Saratoga Passage, Discover Sail Cam Isle celebrates small boats, with an emphasis on dinghy sailing. It’s Saturday and Sunday at Cama Beach State Park on Camano Island. Bring your own small boat or rent one at the festival. Admission is free, though you need a Discover Pass for on-site parking. See www.camanosail.com.
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
Most Read Stories
Both events promise music, food and other fun.
Brian J. Cantwell, Seattle Times Travel staff