This Labor Day weekend: Harbor Days Maritime Festival & Tugboat Races, in Olympia, and Discover Sail Cam Isle at Cama Beach State Park on Camano Island.
Messing about with boats, or just giving them a good look-see, can be a good way to spend Labor Day weekend without making it feel like work.
Head north or head south (or step next door, if you’re close enough) for a couple of free boat-y events:
At the southern end of Puget Sound, Olympia hosts the annual Harbor Days Maritime Festival & Tugboat Races. All types and vintages of tugs, those tough boats that earn their keep, will be on display at Percival Landing Park this Friday through Sunday (as pictured here during a past festival). Tugboat races (more power than speed, you might expect) are noon Sunday. See www.harbordays.com.
Or on the north side of the Sound, on Saratoga Passage, Discover Sail Cam Isle celebrates small boats, with an emphasis on dinghy sailing. It’s Saturday and Sunday at Cama Beach State Park on Camano Island. Bring your own small boat or rent one at the festival. Admission is free, though you need a Discover Pass for on-site parking. See www.camanosail.com.
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Seahawks sign four-year extension with linebacker Bobby Wagner worth a reported $43 million
- Impressions from Day Three of Seahawks' training camp --- Christine Michael, the center position, Tyler Lockett, and more
- After signing $43 million contract, Bobby Wagner admits he didn’t expect Seattle to draft him
Most Read Stories
Both events promise music, food and other fun.
Brian J. Cantwell, Seattle Times Travel staff