After three years, West Seattle's Hullabaloo Books is closing. The owners cited "steep competition" from major bookstore chains, discount...
After three years, West Seattle’s Hullabaloo Books is closing. The owners cited “steep competition” from major bookstore chains, discount stores and online sales, noting that “after investing a great deal of time, energy and money, we’ve concluded we are unable to sustain the business and the best thing to do is to close our doors.”
The children-oriented bookstore suspended all its storytimes and book clubs, except the beginning readers and beginning chapter books clubs this month. Its closing sale, with all merchandise discounted, began on Wednesday and will continue until nothing is left.
“We have been overwhelmed by the response from our customers,” said co-owner Felicia Oh. “Our first day of the announcement was filled with familiar faces and lots of hugs and tears.”
Most Read Stories
- Prosecutor reviewing sex-abuse allegations against ‘Deadliest Catch’ star Sig Hansen
- The results are in: Here's where the new Dick's Drive-In will be
- Career advice: End affair with boss, then apply for promotion | Dear Carolyn
- UW professor: The information war is real, and we’re losing it | Danny Westneat
- Amazon tries to bag a big chunk of grocery market with Seattle pickup locations WATCH
The store is located at 2350 California Ave. S.W., Seattle. For more information, call 206-937-0599 or visit www.hullabaloobooks.com.