A selection of new titles by Washington authors, or of local interest.
“Kiss Me, Kill Me and Other True Cases”
by Ann Rule (Pocket Star, $7.99). This ninth volume in “Ann Rule’s Crime Files” covers 10 murder cases, most of them with a local connection.
by Molly Tenenbaum (New Michigan Press, $7, www.newmichiganpress.com/nmp). A chapbook of poems by the Seattle writer (“By a Thread”).
“The Grand Conversation”
by L. Timmel Duchamp (Aqueduct Press, $8). Essays by a Seattle science-fiction writer, focusing in part on feminist issues as they concern science fiction. This is one of three volumes in the Seattle publisher’s “Conversation Pieces” series.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle police spokesman plays video game while talking about fatal shooting of Charleena Lyles; video removed
- Calling their bluff: A Seattle doctor pegs what the GOP health bill is really about | Danny Westneat
- Seattle police release statements from officers who killed Charleena Lyles
- Mariners, nearly at full strength, show they can play, and beat, the best
- Wet, snowy winter creates life-threatening hazards for Pacific Crest Trail hikers
“Great American Beers: Twelve Brands That Became Icons”
by Bill Yenne (MBI Publishing, $29.95). Two vintage local brews — Olympia and Rainier — get a chapter apiece in this coffee-table book about classic American beers.
“Miles to Cross: A Spiritual Journey on the Open Road”
by Mike Howerton (Relevant Books, $12.99). Howerton, who recently moved to Redmond to serve as a pastor at Overlake Christian Church, recalls his travels through Europe, the U.S. and Central America, and the spiritual growth that accompanied them.
“Best Places Northwest, 15th Edition”
by Giselle Smith (Sasquatch, $21). The latest edition of the local travel guide.
“Waggoner Cruising Guide 2005,”
edited by Robert Hale (Weatherly Press, $19.95). The maritime guide to waters between Olympia and Prince Rupert, B.C., is now in color, making those remote harbors and inside passages look even more enticing.
Michael Upchurch, Seattle Times book critic