Theatre Puget Sound handed out the annual Gregory Awards for theater excellence at ACT Theatre on Monday night.
The Seattle theater world feted its own on Monday night, at the annual Gregory Awards ceremony sponsored by Theatre Puget Sound, a service organization for local theater artists and companies. The gala took place at ACT Theatre.
Azeotrope’s staging of “Jesus Hopped the ‘A’ Train,” a taut prison drama by Stephen Adly Guirgis, was named best show of the 2011-12 season, and won for best direction (by Desdemona Chiang) and set design (Deanna Zibello). It was presented at ACT Theatre, honored with a Gregory as the area’s best theater for the third consecutive year.
Wayne Rawley’s “Live! From the Last Night of My Life” was named best new play, and its cast member Ryan Higgins as best actor. The best actress honor went to Kirsten Potter, as star of “Or,” at Seattle Repertory Theatre.
Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn was on hand to help announce the first recipient of the new Melissa Hines Award. Named after the esteemed theater administrator and Mayor’s Office for Arts & Cultural Affairs staffer who died in 2011, the prize honors “unsung” heroes in the local drama scene. It went to John Bradshaw, manager of the Seattle Shakespeare Company.
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
Most Read Stories
The 12th annual Gregory Falls Award, a lifetime achievement prize named for the late founder of ACT Theatre, was bestowed on versatile Seattle actor R. Hamilton Wright, for his 30-plus years on local stages.
Finalists for most categories of the Gregory honors were chosen by a 60-member nominating committee composed mainly of theater professionals. The TPS membership then decided the awards by voting on the finalists.
For a complete list of Gregory Awards winners, check www.gregoryawards.org.
Misha Berson: firstname.lastname@example.org