Summer officially begins this week. In homage to the sweetest season, here are three things we love with “summer” in the title.
The song perfectly captures the hot, hazy languor of the season. Hear it live at the 5th Avenue Theatre, which hosts a touring production of “The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess” through June 29 (206-625-1900 or 5thavenue.org).
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Former Skyline High QB Jake Heaps signs with Seahawks
- High court rejects franchises’ challenge to Seattle’s $15 wage law
- Sinkhole forms above Sound Transit light-rail tunnel in Roosevelt area
Most Read Stories
‘(500) Days of Summer’
A touching love-and-loss story featuring, among other things, a winning performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and perhaps the best screen use ever of the Hall & Oates song, “You Make My Dreams (Come True).” (Available on Blu-ray and DVD.)
‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’
There are probably 150 great works in the English language with the word “summer” in the title. Why not start with one of the first and best? The Young Shakespeare Workshop performs Shakespeare’s comedy July 13 as part of the Seattle Outdoor Theatre Festival at Volunteer Park (greenstage.org/sotf).
Lynn Jacobson, Seattle Times features editor