Nathan Hale juniors boycott Smarter Balanced tests: All 280 juniors at Nathan Hale High School in Seattle refused to show up for new state tests in reading and math this week. The exams, which are tied to the new Common Core standards, are not a graduation requirement for this year’s 11th graders.
Lake Washington teachers join school funding strikes: A majority of teachers in the Lake Washington School District have approved a union plan to walk out of their classrooms on May 6 to protest what they view as a lack in state funding for public schools. Teachers in 11 other western Washington districts have also voted to stage full or half-day strikes.
Oregon renews commitment to career and technical education (The Oregonian): Using renewed state funding, districts across Oregon are introducing new programs to help high-school students pursue technical careers after graduation.
Most Read Stories
- Swastika-wearing man punched on Seattle street, removes swastika, police say
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- FBI investigating off-duty work by Seattle police at construction sites, parking garages
- Pete Carroll on Seahawks offense: 'There will be some things that will be a little bit different this week' WATCH
- In Seattle mayoral race between Jenny Durkan and Cary Moon, it’s the same old sexist nonsense | Nicole Brodeur