Weyerhaeuser's announcement today that it plans to lay off about 1,500 employees from its Federal Way headquarters is among the largest...
Weyerhaeuser’s announcement today that it plans to lay off about 1,500 employees from its Federal Way headquarters is among the largest layoff announcement in Washington state since Jan. 1, 2007, according to figures compiled by the Washington State Employment Security Department, based on WARN (Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification) layoff notices filed by companies.
This list does not includes the Starbucks announcement last week to lay off 1,000 workers nationwide, including 180 in Seattle, or Washington Mutual’s decision in June to cut 1,200 jobs nationwide, including 260 at its Seattle headquarters. WaMu’s latest cuts came on top of 3,500 job cuts announced earlier in the year.
Here are the 10 largest layoff announcements in the state currently posted at the state’s WARN site.
933: Columbia Distributing, four sites, July 15, 2008
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
- Grading the game: Seattle Seahawks’ offense earns perfect mark against Pittsburgh Steelers
Most Read Stories
697: Macy’s, Seattle, March 3, 2008
684: Associated Grocers*, Seattle-Renton, Oct. 1, 2007
260: Alltel, Issaquah, April 16, 2007
245: Aramark Healthcare, Spokane, June 29, 2007
210: Georgia Pacific*, Bellingham, Dec. 8, 2007
205: Bank of America, Spokane, March 15, 2007
196: Bessie Burton Sullivan Nursing Residence*, Seattle, Jan. 8, 2007
132: DAL Global Services, SeaTac, Dec. 12, 2007
130: Wilcox Farms*, Roy, March 31, 2008
Note: * indicates that the layoffs were due to the closure of the business at that site.