Viacom says it's settled its $1 billion copyright lawsuit against YouTube.
Viacom says it’s settled its $1 billion copyright lawsuit against YouTube.
Terms of the deal weren’t disclosed.
New York-based Viacom Inc. filed the suit in 2007, claiming that YouTube was aware that thousands of videos on its site were stolen from its TV networks such as Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon.
Litigation dragged on for years, but a federal judge ruled last year that the online video site didn’t have to police itself as long as it removed infringing videos when copyright owners gave it notice.
- School board rebukes Bellevue football program; possible two-year ban for coach Butch Goncharoff
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Five veteran Seahawks whose roles could be most impacted by additions from the NFL draft
- Mayor, Chris Hansen denounce misogynistic comments over council arena vote
- Sport fishermen protesting in La Conner on Wednesday as tribal gill-net salmon fishery gets underway
Most Read Stories
Viacom and Google Inc., which bought YouTube in 2006, say the settlement reflects increasing talks between the two companies related to important opportunities.