Chalk up another case of an Internet sensation finding mainstream success. This time it's that annoying kid from the "Fred" videos on YouTube.
Chalk up another case of an Internet sensation finding mainstream success. This time it’s that annoying kid from the “Fred” videos on YouTube.
According to a release from Nickelodeon, “Fred: The Movie” drew 7.6 million total viewers Saturday night and became this year’s No. 1 TV cable movie with kids age 2-11 — and probably some of their parents too.
Here’s a clip from the film, which also stars John Cena (as Fred’s dad) and Jennette McCurdy:
- Unusual motel sting casts wide net on illicit activity
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Priced out? Growing numbers appear to be fleeing King County
- Amanda Knox murder conviction overturned by Italy high court
Most Read Stories
“Fred Figglehorn” is a character created by 17-year-old Lucas Cruikshank of Columbus, Neb. Fred is a 6-year-old with an irritatingly high voice and “anger management issues,” according to Wikipedia. Somehow viewers cannot get enough of him though, because he has the second-most subscribers of any channel on YouTube.
Cruikshank is quite the enterprising new-media businessman, according to this article from 2008. The popularity of his videos has meant a steady stream of ad revenue.
Watch for the DVD of “Fred: The Movie” coming out on Oct. 5.