Last week a study came out claiming that @Mashable is the most influential Twitter account -- despite not having the most followers (that honor belongs to @ladygaga). The formula for arriving at that includes the "retweetability" of that account's posts.
Last week a study came out claiming that @Mashable is the most influential Twitter account — despite not having the most followers (that honor belongs to @ladygaga). The formula for arriving at that includes the “retweetability” of that account’s posts.
So it got us to thinking about the most influential Twitter folks in the Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond area. If you go strictly by number of followers, here’s Twitaholic’s ranking of Seattle-based tweeters:
1. ICanHasCheezburger? (@ICHCheezburger) 1,613,979 followers
2. Amazon MP3 (@amazonmp3) 1,493,958
3. Starbucks Coffee (@Starbucks) 1,036,272
4. Pearl Jam Official (@PearlJam) 637,956
5. Pete Carroll (@PeteCarroll) 405,132
6. Gates Foundation (@gatesfoundation) 395,819
7. JAY BUM PARK (@JAYBUMAOM) 125,873
8. IMDb (@IMDb) 100,967
9. Chris Pirillo (@ChrisPirillo) 86,504
10. Adam from Twibes (@twibes) 82,761
Some things to note about this list:
– Not all local tweeters fill in their location, so they wouldn’t be eligible for this list. A key example of this is @chriscornell, which has 1,498,967 followers (I don’t think he lives in Seattle anymore, but I’m still using this as an example of someone who doesn’t list his location).
– Bill Gates’ Twitter account lists Seattle as the location (instead of Redmond, hmmm), but he somehow doesn’t make Twitaholic’s list despite having 1,496,032 followers.
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Mariners prospect hit by boat dies at age 20
- Let's cut traffic by road rationing, Italian style
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Russell Wilson hits homer with Texas Rangers
Most Read Stories
So when it comes to influence and likelihood of being retweeted, how would you reorder the Seattle list? And is there an account that’s missing? Somehow REI doesn’t make Twitaholic’s Top 100 even though it has about 20,000 followers. And why does Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn only have 2,139 followers?