Sheila Agyeman graduated this spring from Georgetown University with a master's degree in health-systems administration. Her résum résumé runs...
Sheila Agyeman graduated this spring from Georgetown University with a master’s degree in health-systems administration.
Her résumé runs more than two pages, including lengthy descriptions of several internships and short-term jobs. Figuring out what she has done and what she wants to do now is tough.
“Your résumé — actually, you — are impressive. It’s too bad it took me so long to realize it!” Cindy Morgan-Jaffe, director of the Career Studio in Bethesda, Md., said in an analysis of the résumé.
Employers want to know whether a candidate is looking for the job they are trying to fill, and whether a candidate is qualified for a particular post, she said. And they want to know quickly.
Most Read Stories
- Swedish double-booked its surgeries, and the patients didn't know | Quantity of Care
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Singer John Legend donates $5K to help cover Seattle’s school-lunch debt
Morgan-Jaffe, who specializes in counseling young job hunters, proposed a résumé that leads off with a job objective tailored to the specific position, followed by a bulleted list of qualifications. Those would include Agyeman’s degree, as well as specific accomplishments in jobs and internships.
“Remember to match your objective to the job you are applying for and then make it clear why you are qualified for that position,” Morgan-Jaffe advised. “The more you know about the job [or similar positions in other firms] beforehand, the more strategic you can be about listing your qualifications. Remember, not all your qualifications need to be listed for every job you apply for.”
Details of jobs and education, as well as professional memberships and volunteer stints, can follow in concise form.