Sprint will lay off 161 people in Bellevue and Kirkland on Friday as part of its $3.5 billion purchase of wireless network operator Clearwire.
Sprint, based in Overland Park, Kan., completed the purchase in July and has notified all Clearwire employees about their long-term job status, said spokeswoman Susan Johnston.
In all, about 75 percent of Clearwire’s pre-purchase work force eventually will be laid off, the company said. Johnston declined to say how many people that is.
Hundreds of Clearwire employees will remain with Sprint, mostly in Bellevue and Herndon, Va.
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- With death on table, McEnroe jury's friendships crumbled
- 2 young boys suffer 'significant' injuries in explosion in Enumclaw
- Car strikes 3 at Sasquatch festival; 1 serious injury
- Defenses will have tough choices to make vs. Seahawks, tight end Jimmy Graham
Most Read Stories
Amy Martinez: 206-464-2923 or firstname.lastname@example.org. On Twitter: @amyemartinez