Sprint will lay off 161 people in Bellevue and Kirkland on Friday as part of its $3.5 billion purchase of wireless network operator Clearwire.
Sprint, based in Overland Park, Kan., completed the purchase in July and has notified all Clearwire employees about their long-term job status, said spokeswoman Susan Johnston.
In all, about 75 percent of Clearwire’s pre-purchase work force eventually will be laid off, the company said. Johnston declined to say how many people that is.
Hundreds of Clearwire employees will remain with Sprint, mostly in Bellevue and Herndon, Va.
- 4 Mount Rainier High teens charged in alleged gang rape on field trip
- Examining if the Seahawks would be a good fit for Matt Forte
- Woman’s throat cut in South Lake Union assault; man arrested
- Manhole cover crashes into SUV's windshield, killing driver
- Building with iconic Seattle P-I globe sold for $40M
Most Read Stories
Amy Martinez: 206-464-2923 or firstname.lastname@example.org. On Twitter: @amyemartinez