Sprint will lay off 161 people in Bellevue and Kirkland on Friday as part of its $3.5 billion purchase of wireless network operator Clearwire.
Sprint, based in Overland Park, Kan., completed the purchase in July and has notified all Clearwire employees about their long-term job status, said spokeswoman Susan Johnston.
In all, about 75 percent of Clearwire’s pre-purchase work force eventually will be laid off, the company said. Johnston declined to say how many people that is.
Hundreds of Clearwire employees will remain with Sprint, mostly in Bellevue and Herndon, Va.
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
- Grading the game: Seattle Seahawks’ offense earns perfect mark against Pittsburgh Steelers
Most Read Stories
Amy Martinez: 206-464-2923 or firstname.lastname@example.org. On Twitter: @amyemartinez