Sprint will lay off 161 people in Bellevue and Kirkland on Friday as part of its $3.5 billion purchase of wireless network operator Clearwire.
Sprint, based in Overland Park, Kan., completed the purchase in July and has notified all Clearwire employees about their long-term job status, said spokeswoman Susan Johnston.
In all, about 75 percent of Clearwire’s pre-purchase work force eventually will be laid off, the company said. Johnston declined to say how many people that is.
Hundreds of Clearwire employees will remain with Sprint, mostly in Bellevue and Herndon, Va.
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Former Skyline High QB Jake Heaps signs with Seahawks
- Sinkhole forms above Sound Transit light-rail tunnel in Roosevelt area
- High court rejects franchises’ challenge to Seattle’s $15 wage law
Most Read Stories
Amy Martinez: 206-464-2923 or firstname.lastname@example.org. On Twitter: @amyemartinez