Semiahmoo Resort and the Semiahmoo Golf and Country Club and Loomis Trails golf courses in Blaine, Whatcom County, have been sold for $19.5 million.
Resort Semiahmoo and Wright Hotels, a regional hotel asset-management company based in Seattle, are the new owners. The 198-room hotel closed Dec. 1, and 224 workers lost their jobs.
“We have a long list of improvements to be made,” said Stuart Rolfe, president of Wright Hotels, in a news release. Improvements include adding premium bedding, fixing operating systems and a major cleaning.
“The resort’s expansive spa will be restored, and all athletic facilities will receive attention to bring them to full utility,” Rolfe said.
- School board rebukes Bellevue football program; possible two-year ban for coach Butch Goncharoff
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Five veteran Seahawks whose roles could be most impacted by additions from the NFL draft
- Mayor, Chris Hansen denounce misogynistic comments over council arena vote
- Sport fishermen protesting in La Conner on Wednesday as tribal gill-net salmon fishery gets underway
Most Read Stories
The partners plan to spend $6 million on improvements and reopen in August.
“The goal is that people will be comfortable,” said Jerry Anches, a partner in Resort Semiahmoo and Cedarbrook Lodge. “It won’t be anywhere near where we want it to be but at least they will be able to get a feel for what it was like before.”
Wright Hotels operates more than 40 hotels in 15 states. In Washington state, it manages Springhill Suites by Marriott Seattle Downtown and Springhill Suites Seattle-Bothell.
The Resort Semiahmoo ownership group is comprised of the same key players involved with buying the 110-room Cedarbrook Lodge near Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in October 2009 for $9 million.
Cedarbrook was opened in 2002 as a corporate training center for the defunct Washington Mutual but put up for sale by JPMorgan Chase.
Coastal Hotel Group, a Seattle area hospitality-management company, runs Cedarbrook Lodge and has been hired to manage Semiahmoo Resort and its golf courses, the statement said.
Marissa Evans: 206-464-3701