The app for iPhone and Android, dubbed the REI Co-op Guide to the National Parks, will contain information shared by its users, a little like the mapping tool Waze.
REI says it’s releasing a digital trail guide to U.S. national parks as part of an effort to commemorate the centennial of the national park system.
The guide will take the form of an app for Android and iOS, and was developed by Adventure Projects, a Colorado-based firm REI quietly acquired last year. The firm specializes in providing information to climbers, bikers and other outdoor enthusiasts.
The app, dubbed the REI Co-op Guide to the National Parks, will contain trail maps and descriptions for many national parks and their surroundings, as well as information shared by users, a little like the mapping tool Waze.
REI said in a statement that the app is “powered by the collective knowledge of the outdoor community and puts their shared wisdom about deeper park experiences into the hands of America’s adventurers.”
Most Read Stories
- FBI’s massive porn sting puts internet privacy in crossfire
- Profanity Peak wolf pack in state’s gun sights after rancher turns out cattle on den
- Mariners make multiple roster moves: Tom Wilhelmsen placed on the DL, Nori Aoki sent to Tacoma WATCH
- A teardown a day: Bulldozing the way for bigger homes in Seattle, suburbs
- Air Force Thunderbirds take flight this weekend at JBLM show
Last March REI joined an ambitious campaign to help draw younger and more diverse visitors to U.S. national parks.