The app for iPhone and Android, dubbed the REI Co-op Guide to the National Parks, will contain information shared by its users, a little like the mapping tool Waze.
REI says it’s releasing a digital trail guide to U.S. national parks as part of an effort to commemorate the centennial of the national park system.
The guide will take the form of an app for Android and iOS, and was developed by Adventure Projects, a Colorado-based firm REI quietly acquired last year. The firm specializes in providing information to climbers, bikers and other outdoor enthusiasts.
The app, dubbed the REI Co-op Guide to the National Parks, will contain trail maps and descriptions for many national parks and their surroundings, as well as information shared by users, a little like the mapping tool Waze.
REI said in a statement that the app is “powered by the collective knowledge of the outdoor community and puts their shared wisdom about deeper park experiences into the hands of America’s adventurers.”
- Microsoft draws flak for pushing Windows 10 on PC users
- 3 dead, 1 wounded in Oregon shooting; suspect arrested
- This is how much more you’d have to pay for a home near light rail
- Seattle-area home prices surge to new high
- Did Lorenzo Romar, Brandon Roy and UW’s recruiting of the Porter brothers cross the line?
Most Read Stories
Last March REI joined an ambitious campaign to help draw younger and more diverse visitors to U.S. national parks.