Andy Samberg has bought a gated estate in the Hollywood Hills for $6.25 million in an off-market deal, and with it a slice of Los Angeles’ rich real-estate history.
The distinctive residence known as Moorcrest served as the former home to both actor Charlie Chaplin and actress Mary Astor.
Chaplin was a tenant, renting out the home in the early 1920s. Astor and her parents, Otto and Helen Langhanke, lived at the property for nearly a decade after the family bought the residence in 1925.
Designed by Marie Russak Hotchener, the restored estate incorporates Moorish, Mission Revival, Gothic and Art Nouveau styles. Leaded stained-glass windows, copper and marble baseboards, custom cabinetry, hand-painted frescoes and elaborate mosaic tiles are among the architectural features.
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
Most Read Stories
The more than 6,400 square feet of living space includes an updated kitchen, formal living areas, four bedrooms and six bathrooms. The master suite contains a copper fireplace and a custom steam shower.
There are patios, walkways and a swimming pool on the nearly 1-acre grounds.
Samberg, 35, is known for his time on “Saturday Night Live” (2005-2012) and his role on the Fox sitcom “Brooklyn Nine-Nine.”
Los Angeles Times