Share story

Q: My wife and I are installing a new kitchen faucet and we’ve narrowed the choices down to a “pullout” or a “pull-down” kitchen faucet. Can you please offer some benefits of both styles to help us decide?

— George and Lucy, Rhode Island

A: Both faucet styles have a spout with a built-in spray head that extends with a flexible hose to perform normal kitchen chores. This eliminates the need for a deck-mounted sprayer, which gives the sink an uncluttered look.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

However, like the names say, a pullout kitchen-faucet spray head pulls out from the faucet horizontally, while a pull-down faucet has a candy-cane-shape spout, and the spray head pulls down vertically.

Here’s where I have seen a difference: For filling things away from the sink, like a countertop coffee maker or a dog dish, the pullout style with the horizontal motion seems to have the edge. For washing kitchen-sink basins, I think the pull-down type with its vertical motion gets the upper hand.

I hope that helps you get a “better grip” on your options!

Master contractor/plumber Ed Del Grande is known internationally as the author of the book “Ed Del Grande’s House Call,” the host of TV and Internet shows, and a LEED green associate. For more information, visit

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.