Skanska and Hunt Construction sued the entity that runs the Washington State Convention Center after they were dropped from the $1.4 billion expansion.

Share story

The construction-company partnership that was dropped as the builder of the Washington State Convention Center’s $1.4 billion expansion said late Friday it has sued to prevent the convention center from selecting a new contractor.

The Washington State Convention Center Public Facilities District, which controls the convention center, selected Skanska and Hunt Construction last summer to build the expansion, but terminated the contract earlier this month.

The lawsuit, filed in King County Superior Court, aims to stop convention center officials from beginning another selection process.

Chris Toher, Skanska USA’s executive vice president and general manager, said in a statement that convention center officials violated their contractual obligations and should “take immediate steps to right this wrong.”

This week, save 90% on digital access.

The change is also “contrary to the public’s interest on this important public project,” he said.

Matt Griffin of the Pine Street Group, which is the expansion’s project manager, said officials had not seen the lawsuit and could not comment.

The contractors contend that there were no complaints about their work, and they were never told why they were terminated from the project

“We remain confident that Skanska-Hunt is the most qualified team to ensure the project is performed on time and on budget and with respect to all project stakeholders’ interests,” Toher said.

The $1.4 billion expansion is expected to double the capacity of the convention center to attract larger groups to Seattle and compete with Denver, Portland and Vancouver, B.C., which have larger facilities.

Construction was estimated to start in 2017, wrap up by 2020 and support about 6,000 construction jobs.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.