The chief overseer of Qatar's new international airport says the opening of the facility has been delayed because of the need to address new safety requirements.
The chief overseer of Qatar’s new international airport says the opening of the facility has been delayed because of the need to address new safety requirements.
Monday’s statement came just hours before the scheduled inaugural flight from Hamad International Airport in Doha. It gave no details on possible shortcomings in meeting new safety measures set by the Qatari civil defense.
Qatar has undertaken a blanket review of all safety systems in public places since a mall fire last year killed 19 people.
Abdulaziz al-Noaimi, chairman of new airport’s steering committee, gave no new timeframe for the airport’s opening.
- Marymoor Park concerts: Full lineup announced
- Capitol Hill light-rail station nearly ready for trains to rumble
- Nelson Cruz's home run in ninth inning lifts Mariners to sweep of Rays
- Historically black Central District could be less than 10% black in a decade
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
Most Read Stories
Qatar’s new airport is part of wide-ranging construction projects as the wealthy Gulf nation boosts it profile as a hub for international conferences and events, including the 2022 World Cup.