The chief overseer of Qatar's new international airport says the opening of the facility has been delayed because of the need to address new safety requirements.
The chief overseer of Qatar’s new international airport says the opening of the facility has been delayed because of the need to address new safety requirements.
Monday’s statement came just hours before the scheduled inaugural flight from Hamad International Airport in Doha. It gave no details on possible shortcomings in meeting new safety measures set by the Qatari civil defense.
Qatar has undertaken a blanket review of all safety systems in public places since a mall fire last year killed 19 people.
Abdulaziz al-Noaimi, chairman of new airport’s steering committee, gave no new timeframe for the airport’s opening.
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: "He just doesn't trust a lot of people''
- Every street can't handle every use, mayor says
- Confidence is key for 24-year-old lawmaker
- After ditching Amex, Costco embraces Citi, Visa
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: 'He just doesn't trust a lot of people'
Most Read Stories
Qatar’s new airport is part of wide-ranging construction projects as the wealthy Gulf nation boosts it profile as a hub for international conferences and events, including the 2022 World Cup.