The chief overseer of Qatar's new international airport says the opening of the facility has been delayed because of the need to address new safety requirements.
The chief overseer of Qatar’s new international airport says the opening of the facility has been delayed because of the need to address new safety requirements.
Monday’s statement came just hours before the scheduled inaugural flight from Hamad International Airport in Doha. It gave no details on possible shortcomings in meeting new safety measures set by the Qatari civil defense.
Qatar has undertaken a blanket review of all safety systems in public places since a mall fire last year killed 19 people.
Abdulaziz al-Noaimi, chairman of new airport’s steering committee, gave no new timeframe for the airport’s opening.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- As Puget Sound sweats, few air conditioners are cooling us down
Most Read Stories
Qatar’s new airport is part of wide-ranging construction projects as the wealthy Gulf nation boosts it profile as a hub for international conferences and events, including the 2022 World Cup.